Call for Papers
With the advent of consumer head-mounted displays for Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality, powered by mobile devices or a nearby desktop computer, mobile VR and AR scenarios are now a reality. With the intense competition that has ensued in this industry, more companies are supporting untethered VR and AR scenarios. Many technologies behind these devices present diverse challenges of importance to researchers. There are many research challenges across graphics, computer vision, energy consumption, network latency, HCI, security, and sensor networking. While this field is interdisciplinary by nature, many proposed ideas have direct impact on how networking protocols and infrastructures are designed and managed.
In this first Mobile Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality workshop at MobiSys, we will bring together practitioners as well as interested researchers to discuss the latest developments in this growing field. We will identify what we have already achieved, the challenges that lie ahead, and promising avenues forward. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Offload / streaming Support for virtual and augmented reality
- Latency mitigation mechanisms
- Novel mobile VR/AR applications
- Privacy of content captured and sensed by AR applications
- Security of content and overlays displayed in the HMD
- Reducing the energy consumption of mobile VR and AR applications
- Increasing the quality of graphics
- Increasing the precision and reducing the latency of HMD localization
- Impact of device limitations on mobile game players
- Multi-user games and applications
- Protocols and architectural designs or concerns for next generation mobile VR/AR applications
- Optimizing game servers and transport for mobile VR/AR
- Cross-device gaming / applications (e.g. phones, slates, PCs, consoles)
- detailed usability studies of mobile VR / AR
- Simulator sickness management and mitigation
All submissions must be original work not under review at any other workshop, conference, or journal. The workshop will accept papers describing completed work as well as work-in-progress, so long as the promise of the approach is demonstrated. Radical ideas, potentially of a controversial nature, are strongly encouraged. Submissions must be no greater than 6 pages in length and must be a PDF file. Reviews will be single-blind: authors name and affiliation should be included in the submission. Submissions must follow the formatting guidelines at http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2017. The deadline for submissions is April 7th, 2017 11:59pm EST. Paper submissions will appear in the Mobisys'17 proceedings.
Please submit your papers, posters and demos by following the instructions in the submissions tab.
Acceptance notification will go out on April 19th 2017
Call for papers PDF HERE